Is Your Property Ready For Winter?
Confidence is growing that this storm is going to significantly impact the Tri-State area and beyond this weekend. With a spring-like December, many of us forgot to prepare our property for colder temperatures. Now is the time to get ready for unpredictable winter issues.
Follow these helpful tips to prepare your property to withstand the cold:
- Caulk around pipes where they enter the building.
- Insulate exposed irrigation system lines, make sure they are drained.
- Clean gutters and downspouts to insure proper drainage and less ice build up.
- Shut-off water to outside bibs and faucets at the shut-off valves.
- In very low temperatures, slow-drip or trickle interior faucets both hot and cold.
- Check for any outdoor lighting issues, including broken fixtures and underground wiring breaks.
- Perform boiler startups, and consider having your heating system inspected and cleaned.
- Winterize overhead and service doors and check every door to make sure they close properly.
- Consider installing self-regulating roof, gutter and downspout de-icing cables to prevent accumulation hazards.
- Make sure all access points are cleared of snow and ice.
- Don’t forget about the interior walkways; consider strategic rug placements to prevent slips and control salt track in.
- Check with your town or city official to be up to date on snow removal regulations for your property.
- Order your ice melt and renew your snow & ice removal contract