Posts in October 2016
It’s still not clear how severely Hurricane Matthew will affect South Florida, but it’s time to make sure you have the things you need in your home.
Don’t wait until the last minute because lines will be long and supplies short.
Assemble this now. Put aside in a special box. Keep heat-sensitive items inside home and rotate stock throughout season:
- Flashlights and extra bulbs
- Clock (wind-up or battery-operated)
- Battery-operated radio
- NOAA emergency weather radio
- Extra batteries
- Toilet paper
- Matches (camping stores have waterproof matches)
- Plastic garbage bags
- Working fire extinguisher
- Clean change of clothes, rain gear, sturdy swamp boots
- Fully charged battery-operated lanterns. Don’t use candles and kerosene lanterns. They are fire hazards.
- Map of the area
- List of phone numbers
- Copy of insurance policy
- Get enough nonperishable foods now to last two weeks. Then put them in a box and leave them alone.