Posts in January 2016
Confidence is growing that this storm is going to significantly impact the Tri-State area and beyond this weekend. With a spring-like December, many of us forgot to prepare our property for colder temperatures. Now is the time to get ready for unpredictable winter issues.
Follow these helpful tips to prepare your property to withstand the cold:
- Caulk around pipes where they enter the building.
- Insulate exposed irrigation system lines, make sure they are drained.
- Clean gutters and downspouts to insure proper drainage and less ice build up.
- Shut-off water to outside bibs and faucets at the shut-off valves.
- In very low temperatures, slow-drip or trickle interior faucets both hot and cold.
- Check for any outdoor lighting issues, including broken fixtures and underground wiring breaks.
- Perform boiler startups, and consider having your heating system inspected and cleaned.
- Winterize overhead and service doors and check every door to make sure they close properly.
ACE Ltd. and Chubb said they have received all necessary regulatory approvals and will close their $29.7 billion merger agreement today, Jan. 14 – six months after the companies first announced their surprise deal.
The newly-combined company will use the Chubb name and be the world’s largest publicly traded property/casualty insurer.
Plans call for its stock to begin trading on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol CB on the first trading day after the closing.
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) gave the green light to the deal in late September.
After the deal closes, the balance sheet’s size and strength will elevate the combined company into the elite group of global P/C insurers. As of December 31, 2014, on an aggregate basis, the combined company had total shareholders’ equity of nearly $46 billion and cash, investments and other assets of $150 billion.
The new Chubb will rank second among U.S.